Friday, August 15, 2008

fine/found


During the layover from/in hell, I took this photo in front of some sort of auditorium in downtown Phoenix. This was also just about the only interesting find that night (other than Hooters which had cheap beer).

I have much better luck when it comes to music.

While working on the mixtape, I remembered this cover of The Beatle's Money by The Flying Lizards (heard briefly in The Wedding Singer movie). For some reason this song always makes me think of Billy Idol but I don't even know any of his songs!

The Flying Lizards - Money (That's What I Want)
More on them later. I'm doing some research and careful listening. I think they're pretty amazing and possibly some of the best music to come out of the 80s.

I also recently stumbled across this very awkward version of Santogold's I'm A Lady. Amanda Blank's rapping is worth GIGGLES as it feels very outdated (borderline cheesy) 90's but you just can't deny that I'm a lady--at least the original version--is The Pixies but better so this version can't be all that bad.

Santogold/Diplo - I'm A Lady (Feat. Amanda Blank)
ps. it also took 3 heads to get one line out of barely intelligible Santi White in this song: "I know how to spin magic, reel it out. Try to hold the light to me." (you should tell me your interpretation of the second part of the chorus, too)

While cruising Myspace--something which I rarely do nowadays, I revisited an old obsession of mine, Feist! I was very disappointed by her Sesame Street debut and wished she could've counted higher than 4 (where were 5, 6, 9, and 10!), but my confidence in her was restored upon discovering Rubies in her Top Friends. I can't really tell where they are from, but maybe they're based in CA. This particular track is a Whitest Boy(Girl) Alive with the electroguts of Lykke Li. What do you know, they're not even Scandinavian. Just kidding...I think some of them are.

Rubies - Stand In A Line
Check out those lines on their faces...makes me think someone had a hand in the Feist Mushaboom music video!

No comments: